Events are subject to change based on closures related to the coronavirus pandemic. Verify with organizers prior to events.
The Friends of the Chatham Community Library has cancelled its Spring Book Sale, due to the continued lockdown of government offices and businesses, ordered by federal, state, and local government. More information can be found on the website: friendsccl.org.
Chatham County Council on Aging: Both centers are closed at this time until further notice. If you need to pick up supplies, call the Siler City or Pittsboro location or check our website at chathamcoa.org.
ON THE AGENDA
- The Chatham County Board of Education will convene a special session Feb. 23 for continued discussion on K-5 schools moving to Plan A as recommended by the N.C. General Assembly and N.C. Gov. Roy Cooper. The 5:30 p.m. meeting in the Horton Middle School multipurpose room will stream in real time at https://bit.ly/CCBOElivestream. The district will follow all health and safety requirements, including face coverings, six feet of physical distance between individuals and symptom screenings for those entering the meeting room.
- The Woods Charter School Board will hold its regular meeting Feb. 18th at 7:00 p.m. on Zoom and will discuss reopening plans for the school.
- The Pittsboro Board of Commissioners will meet at 7 p.m. Feb. 22 via Zoom.
- The Pittsboro Farmers Market is open with seasonable items year-round from 3 to 6 p.m. on Thursdays. It is located at 287 East St., Pittsboro.
- St. Bartholomew’s Episcopal Church provides a healthy, meal at no cost to those who come to us hungry at noon on Thursdays. We provide a place of hospitality and fellowship for everyone. All are welcome, regardless of race, sex, age, national origin, religious preference, handicap, or income.
- Smith & Buckner Food Drive: now through Feb. 19, Drop off non-perishable items during regular business hours to their facilities at 230 N. Second Avenue, Siler City.
- The Chatham Historical Museum is open Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday from 11 a.m. until 4 p.m. Masks required and groups will be distanced. Adult and kid friendly; no admission fee. Our current special exhibit is vintage toys. Don’t miss it! Our permanent exhibits cover all aspects of Chatham’s unique history. The Museum is located in the historic Chatham County Courthouse in the circle. More info: https://chathamhistory.org
- Second Bloom of Chatham Thrift Shop has made the move to Chatham Commons, at 630 E. St., Pittsboro, in the Food Lion shopping center. We will be accepting donations when we reopen. Our hours are Tuesday through Saturday, 10 a.m. until 4 p.m. All proceeds provide support for survivors of domestic violence and sexual assault and promote community education in collaboration with Chatham County.
- Chatham Community Library: While the library is closed, all classes will be offered online. Class descriptions and a registration link can be found at www.chathamnc.org/ComputerClasses. -- Available in February: Microsoft Excel Basic, Microsoft Excel Basics, Part 2: February 23, Tuesday, 3 p.m.
- With COVID-19 sweeping the country, artists’ livelihoods are being challenged like never before. The Chatham Arts Council has put together a relief effort specifically for artists and arts-workers called CAARE: Chatham Artist and Arts-Worker Relief Effort. For more information on CAARE, or to donate, visit ChathamArtsCouncil.org.
- JMArts hosted a JMACoronaConcert via Twitter featuring performances submitted by JM students and faculty. Concerts can be viewed on its Twitter account @JMArts and by using the hashtags #JMACoronaConcert performances and #JMACoronaConcert program.
- Foster and/or adoptive information: Give children a safe place to grow. Interested in becoming a Foster and/or Adoptive parent? Call 919-642-6956 to learn more.
- Alcoholics Anonymous — North Carolina District 33, call the Help Line at 866-640-0180 for the meeting schedule for this area.
- Motorcycle Association — The Motorcycle Association for Chatham, Western Wake, Lee, Orange and Alamance counties meets in Pittsboro and is open to all riders. For information, call 919-392-3939 or visit www.chathamCBA.com.
- Narcotics Anonymous — For drug problems in the family, Narcotics Anonymous helps. Call 1-800-721-8225 for listing of local meetings.
- Al-Anon Meeting — Pittsboro Serenity Seekers Al-Anon Family Group meets at 7 p.m. Mondays at Chatham Community Church, in the lower level of Chatham Mill, Pittsboro.
- Scout News
• Boy Scout Troop 93 in Pittsboro meets 7 p.m. Wednesdays at the Harold Boone Scout Park on Hwy 64W, just past CCCC. Open to boys, ages 11-17. Visit www.bstroop93.org for more information.
• Pack 924 of Siler City First U.M.C. meets on from 7 to 8:30 p.m Tuesdays for boys, grades 1 through 5. Come join the Cub Scouts.
• Pack 900 in Bear Creek meets at 7 p.m. Tuesdays at Meroney’s U.M.C., following the school calendar. See http://pack900.com for more information.