Investigation into Bear Creek man killed Wednesday continues

Posted 5/20/20

A Bear Creek man is dead after an early morning shooting Wednesday. Emerson Batsche, 20, of Bear Creek, was reported Wednesday morning to have died of injuries related to a shooting at 12:57 a.m. in Bear Creek. The Chatham County Sheriff's Office responded to the shooting.

The News + Record is worth reading!

We’re all about Chatham County, and we welcome you to our site. You can view up to 3 stories each month, then registration is required.

Please sign in below if you have an account. If not, please register here to get an account and an additional 7 stories each month. It’s easy and takes just a minute.

Our staff works hard to bring good journalism, writing and story-telling to Chatham County. HELP US! You can get the News + Record mailed to you weekly by subscribing here.

Please log in to continue

Log in

Investigation into Bear Creek man killed Wednesday continues

Thanks for reading Chatham County’s leading news source! Please consider supporting community journalism by subscribing to the News + Record – you can do so by clicking here.


The investigation into the shooting Wednesday of a 20-year old Bear Creek man is still under way.

A 9-1-1 call about a shooting came in to Chatham Emergency Communications at 12:56 a.m. on Wednesday. The victim, Emerson Batsche of Bear Creek, succumbed to his injuries at the scene of the shooting just off of Pittsboro-Goldston Road.

Audio recordings of the 9-1-1 call indicated that Batsche's father, David, placed the call requesting assistance for a gunshot wound to his son's chest. At first, he noted Emerson Batsche was alert "but hurting" before hanging up the phone to "go be with my son."

The incident reports from the evening, which were obtained by the Chatham Nees + Record along with the 9-1-1 recording from the Chatham County Sheriff's Office, were heavily redacted to preserve the integrity of the investigation.

Dispatch reports show that multiple units from the Goldston Fire Department and the Chatham County Sheriff's Office went to the scene, with the first deputy reporting arriving at Artis Cotten Road within 10 minutes of the 9-1-1- call being placed.

No information about a motive or possible suspects has been released. The News + Record will update this story as more information is released.


No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment